Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Literacy Pirate

So, I spend most nights after everyone is asleep on the computer editing pictures, posting on facebook, working on projects. Well, it took me about a year to perfect what I wanted as a website for my day care. I had a myspace page forever, http://www.myspace.com/fl9542059056 Then companies started blocking myspace so people weren't able to access my website from work, so I worked on a new website with a real domain name. The domain name was the tricky part, but my friend Danny helped me, and I couldn't have picked a better name. I got with a client, and we turned my myspace into a website, and it was amazing. I love it. A couple years later and we haven't changed anything about it, but add a couple pics here and there. It took a lot of time, but I love it. Lots of hard work, but it's my baby, and I am super proud of it. http://www.childcarebroward.com My friend is a teacher and travels across the USA and does business management seminars, and always pulls my web site up to show people.:) Well, I was a little hurt last night, because a friend posted a link to her new website on facebook. I clicked on it, I thought it was really pretty. She boasted it didn't take her very long at all. Then I read the sections and discovered she had word for word copied and pasted from my website!! Even my "about me" section!! I was so surprised. All her friends were commenting on how great the site was, and I wanted to post a link to mine and say something silly, but I decided not to. I decided just to post a vague status on facebook about plagiarizing. It started quite the discussion on facebook! I didn't call her out though. I carried private conversations on with people, and directed them to her web site. Everyone was disgusted, and said I should have said something..but I didn't. Then first thing this morning, she sent me an apology email. It was sincere, kind of... so I guess she learnt her lesson. I also have learnt mine!! 

AFTER NOTE:
I went to share this on facebook, but was going to block her from seeing it, and she unfriended me! I guess she didn't like the fact I had yet to respond to her apology email. I wasn't going to share her apology email, but I guess I can now!!
Here is her apology email:

Subject: Apology
Wicked Sorry. Sincerely. I would hate it too. I know I would. I had to throw together a rate sheet for our local toy store owner who I am a big fan of and his little girl adorable!! I thought it would be a bit more professional to whip up a site opposed to an email with numbers. Not so much when it's plagerized I suppose. It was just SO perfect! I did revise it, and it is still a work in progress. If I was gonna steal your shit prolly shouldnt have linked it to FB... I'm sorry Jordanna especially because you have been such a help. :/

No comments: